Let’s face it, there’s a challenge for everybody to help save mother earth. Conservation is a must for us in order to have a better place to live. Saving our resources for a better tomorrow, this is the main goal of many mother earth saving advocacies. We as parents can also teach our kids to live green and help on saving mother earth.
Here are ways parents can teach their kids conservation
1. Be the best example you can be – Kids need a better example and it should start from their home. Parents should set an example to their kids by following simple house rules set by them. If you want teach kids, it should start from you being a good model.
2. Recycle, recycle, recycle – Ask anyone how they can help on conservation, they will tell you “Recycle”. It’s a very simple way wherein we can teach our kids to reduce, reuse, and recycle. Help you kids understand waste segregation (Biodegradable and Non-Biodegradable).
Create DIY projects using recycled materials. See example below:
3. Energy Conservation – Parents should set house rules on appliances and gadgets. Here are some energy preservation rules that you can give your kids.
- Limit TV viewing and computer use.
- Unplug chargers of mobile devices when you finished charging.
- Turn off and unplug appliances when leaving home.
- Reduce the times that you open your refrigerator.
4. Green living is healthy living – To teach your kids the importance of green living is to live healthy. We should teach them the harmful effects of pesticides and bad household cleaner agents, how to battle pollutants and have a greener living.
5. Save whenever it’s possible – Teach your kids how to save things, kids can save by writing on their notebooks on a back-to-back sheet, use pencils until its very last lead, save boxes and recycle, save things that can help the mother earth.
(c) Afterschool.ae, the leading resource of after school activities in Dubai.